Become a Busker
Come entertain us
Buskers (street performers) create an infectious spirit throughout Eastern Market on market days. We love hosting them, and welcome all kinds including singers, musicians, actors, mimes, jugglers, magicians, human statues and puppeteers. They perform for thousands of visitors of all ages, ethnicities and localities. And shoppers can be generous tippers.
Passing muster as a busker
First, a few ground rules:
- Buskers must be at least 12 years old.
- A busking group should not exceed four people unless you get written permission from Eastern Market Corporation (EMC).
- If you're an acrobat, tumbler, cyclist or other performer requesting additional space, you can request EMC's permission to become a busker.
- Using amplification? You guessed it. That requires EMC's written permission too. We allow one location in the market for this.
- All buskers must apply in person at the EMC office at 2934 Russell Street.
Three pretty simple steps
- Complete an application form at 2935 Russell Street and bring it along with $5.00 (credit card, cash, check or money order made payable to Eastern Market Corporation). This is a one-time registration fee to be an Eastern Market busker. Please bring your badge holder with you whenever you perform. Badges are an important way for us to know who is an approved busker. So if you lose your badge or forget to bring it when you perform, you'll be charged $5.00. (Per client: Add release information to busker application)
- Busker slots are assigned on the day of performance on a first-come, first-served basis. Come to the EMC office (2934 Russell Street) during daytime office hours.
- If a busking slot is available, you'll receive a busking badge with your time and location. Place the badge in your Eastern Market badge holder and make it visible.
Where: You'll be performing at one of a few designated locations around the market.
When: Buskers perform during public market hours on Saturdays, Tuesdays and Sundays. Get details on the differences between market days.
Contact us with any questions about busking at Eastern Market.
Welcome Center Hours
Stop in to ask a question, get our newest maps and recipes, use our bathrooms, or present your Bridge Card to receive tokens accepted at many vendors under the sheds.
Every Saturday, year-round
7am – 4pm
Every Tuesday, June–end of October, plus Thanksgiving Week
9am – 3pm
Every Sunday, June–end of October, plus Thanksgiving Week
10am – 4pm
District shops and restaurants are open after shed hours.
Check our directory for specifics.
1445 Adelaide, Detroit, MI 48207
(between Sheds 2 and 3)
Want to be a market vendor?
Eastern Market thrives on a rich diversity of food, art, wearables and other goods. If you're excited about what you have to offer, there's a good chance we will be too. Start by reviewing our vendor handbook. Then download an application.Find out more
Want to be a volunteer?
We're a nonprofit company, so we rely on the generosity of a fantastic group of volunteers. But we always need more. Check our listings to find an event or activity that matches your interests.Find out more